Re: [code][textadept] Software packaging

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:27:56 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Richard,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Richard Philips wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> I write quite a lot of Lua code for Textadept.
> I think some of these things can be used by other people as well and I
> certainly would not mind to contribute this code.
>
> But I hesitate to just publish this code (e.g. on GitHub): I think
> installing these contributions would be not that straightforward. I have an
> install facility - which is Python based - to handle my own code but I
> think that textadept would benefit of some kind of packaging system (layout
> of files, specification, code, meta information, etc.) to handle this.
>
> Just saying :-)

Yes, I am aware of the benefits of a package manager. I haven't had the
time to look into utilizing LuaRocks (and running my own rock server or
whatever it is called) to be Textadept's package manager. It's low on my
priority list, but there. If anyone wants to step up, please do!

For now, I would encourage you to publish your code along with
installation instructions if you'd like to share your work. That is the
only way for now.