Re: [code] [textadept] Feature Request: ui "checkbox" dialog

From: Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists.att.meahan.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:53:45 -0500

On 3/5/2014 7:48 PM, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014, Bill Meahan wrote:
>

>> For a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious support module I'm writing
>> for ConTeXt Mk IV (a Friend of TeX analogous to LaTeX), I could
>> really use one of the following:
>>
>> 1. A dialog box that accepts a list of items and displays them in a
>> vertical list with check boxes next to them. Returns a list of those
>> items for which the user checked the box.
>
> Tonight's nightly will have a new dialog `optionselect`. You can use
> it like this:
>
> ui.dialogs.optionselect{
> title = 'Language',
> informative_text = 'Check the languages you understand'
> items = {'English', 'French', 'German', 'Russian', 'Spanish'},
> select = {1, 3}, string_output = true
> }
>
> Documentation will be in the nightly's `doc/api/ui.dialogs.html` file.
>
> This will be in 7.2.

Fantastic! That is exactly what I need.

I've been going back and forth among text editors for a couple of years
and am in the process of settling on Textadept for my work which is
quite different these days from what it used to be.

  I spent over 45 years writing all kinds of software from specialized
control systems of industrial machinery, device drivers for custom
hardware interfaces I designed to industrial monitoring of entire
factories to my last pre-early-retirement job which was the primary
infrastructure system for the entire global tech support of Ford Motor.
Never a line of COBOL, though. These days, however, I write fiction and
use ConTeXt to typeset it. Quite a change. ;)

I'm working on a few enhancements to Textadept between chapters of my
latest fictional epic and will be happy to share them with the community
when they are a bit more complete. I never used Lua before but I'm
finding I rather like it. Never could wrap my mind around EMACS elisp.

Thanks again!

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan
"For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean