Re: [code] Message Buffer / ui.print always stealing focus

From: Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai.att.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:42:07 -0400

Hi Mitchell,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2014, Mitchell wrote:
>
> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014, Ryan Pusztai wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>>
>>> I got my C++ module back up and running and doing some testing. I use
>>> your
>>> Spawn module [1] to output compiler output and I just call "ui.print" for
>>> each output [2]. I do have tabs enabled. If I start a build the messages
>>> go
>>> to the "[Message Buffer]", but move my cursor to it. So if I switch away
>>> from the "[Message Buffer]" tab while messages are being written the tab
>>> just switches back to the "[Message Buffer]". It makes the editor not
>>> usable during that time. Is this expected? It did not do this in earlier
>>> versions. I am in Ubuntu 13.10 x84_64 with Textadept v7.2 beta 2.
>>>

>> This has always been the case. Certainly prior to 7.0 there was no way to
>> write text to a non-focused buffer (remember those "weird the indexed
>> buffer is not the current one" errors?). Also, `ui.print()` has it
>> hardcoded to jump to a print buffer when printing.
>>
>> That said, I have experimented with silent printing for cases like yours
>> and will commit a change and an API option soon.
>>

> Change committed. There is a new `ui.SILENT_PRINT` that, when true,
> prevents any buffers being printed to from stealing the focus. By default
> it is off, but prior to calling your spawn, you can turn it on, and then
> turn it back off again after your spawn completes.

This sounds great. I will try it once a release is out. Thanks.

Also I noticed, not to long ago, you removed creating a new split for
"[Message Buffer]" when tabs are enabled. Is it possible to control that
behavior with a setting as well? I like the way it used to work much better.

--
Regards,
Ryan