Re: [code] Re: Trouble with primary selection

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:42:47 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Carlos,

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita.att.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having some issues with the "standard" select-then-middle-click
>> sequence while inside textadept 7.1. Often I select text with the
>> mouse but then nothing is pasted again into the buffer when I click
>> the middle button. The primary selection is indeed empty after these
>> mouse selections take place. I can't work out the conditions to
>> achieve reproducibility but, randomly or not, this happens often
>> enough.
>>
>> Anyone else is experiencing this same issue?
>
> Well, now I can show you a recipe to reproduce it:
>
> 1. select text from the buffer using the mouse
> 2. left-click into the buffer to destroy the selection (but without
> creating a new one)
> 3. middle-click into the buffer -> nothing happens
>
> I think step 2 is replacing the selection with an empty one.

Textadept uses the Scintilla editing component and technically there is
always a selection, even if it is zero-width. I think this explains at
least the example you provided. (Clicking to remove the selection simply
creates a new zero-width selection where you clicked.) Do you think it's
worth bringing up on the Scintilla mailing list?