Re: [code] Message Buffer not auto scrolling and slowdown

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 15:01:58 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Ryan,

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014, Ryan Pusztai wrote:

> In Textadept 7.3 x86_64 on Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64, the message buffer does not
> seem to auto-scroll to the bottom anymore. I have set "ui.SILENT_PRINT =
> true" and am using tabs. I have split the view once and have the message
> buffer in one buffer and my code in the other. I am using the built-in
> "run" function and a Lua file and I am just watching "print()" from the
> script run. Does anyone else see this? I find it really hard because I
> usually look at that output and want the latest results to show. It does
> not seem to have anything to do with "ui.SILENT_PRINT = true". I run into
> some times where I set SILENT_PRINT to false and the tab is not selected as
> well.

Textadept only scrolls a print buffer when `ui.SILENT_PRINT` is false or
that when print buffer is focused. Textadept has never had the ability to
scroll print buffers in separate, split views.

> Also I am seeing a big slow down as I print to the message buffer with a
> few hundred lines. I press Ctrl+r and then it prints the command-line, then
> hangs till all the text output is done printing to the message buffer. I
> can time my script and it shows it is running full speed, but the printing
> to the message buffer is slow. So slow that for a simple script taking .5
> seconds to run makes the OS think Textadept is hung and changes the window
> to the not responding color. This same script runs in half a second on a
> plain terminal. Anyone seeing this?

Textadept's "compile", "run", and "build" commands print a single line of
process output at a time and search that line for any warnings or errors
to mark. That is likely causing most of the slowdown. However, even
running "for i = 1, 100 do print(i) end" from the command entry is a bit
on the slow side. I think that's related to Textadept performing linear
search to find a suitable print buffer.