Re: [code] Message Buffer not auto scrolling and slowdown

From: Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai.att.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 16:36:06 -0400

--
Regards,
Ryan
Sent from my phone
On Jun 4, 2014 3:02 PM, "Mitchell" <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2014, Ryan Pusztai wrote:
>
>> In Textadept 7.3 x86_64 on Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64, the message buffer does
not
>> seem to auto-scroll to the bottom anymore. I have set "ui.SILENT_PRINT =
>> true" and am using tabs. I have split the view once and have the message
>> buffer in one buffer and my code in the other. I am using the built-in
>> "run" function and a Lua file and I am just watching "print()" from the
>> script run. Does anyone else see this? I find it really hard because I
>> usually look at that output and want the latest results to show. It does
>> not seem to have anything to do with "ui.SILENT_PRINT = true". I run into
>> some times where I set SILENT_PRINT to false and the tab is not selected
as
>> well.
>

> Textadept only scrolls a print buffer when `ui.SILENT_PRINT` is false or
that when print buffer is focused. Textadept has never had the ability to
scroll print buffers in separate, split views.
I thought so, but I used to use this as a separate view that is at the
bottom and in other split views I run scripts that print messages. I would
go days with this setup. I feel like tabs changed this behavior and the
SILENT_PRINT is not functioning the same with tabs. I need the auto-scroll
more that the silent print and if I just don't set any setting I still
don't see the auto-scrolling work if you have 2 splits; 1 with a script and
another with the message buffer. Now I thought it would focus the message
buffer and auto scroll, but that is not what I see. It focuses the first
time, but then I focus the script and run again until the text in the
message buffer requires the buffer to scroll. I hope this makes sense and
helps to reproduce the issue.
>> Also I am seeing a big slow down as I print to the message buffer with a
>> few hundred lines. I press Ctrl+r and then it prints the command-line,
then
>> hangs till all the text output is done printing to the message buffer. I
>> can time my script and it shows it is running full speed, but the
printing
>> to the message buffer is slow. So slow that for a simple script taking .5
>> seconds to run makes the OS think Textadept is hung and changes the
window
>> to the not responding color. This same script runs in half a second on a
>> plain terminal. Anyone seeing this?
>

> Textadept's "compile", "run", and "build" commands print a single line of
process output at a time and search that line for any warnings or errors to
mark. That is likely causing most of the slowdown. However, even running
"for i = 1, 100 do print(i) end" from the command entry is a bit on the
slow side. I think that's related to Textadept performing linear search to
find a suitable print buffer.
Well maybe run the script over and over and just watch how slow it gets. I
know this worked much better in the 7.0 release. I wonder if it has to do
with requiring socket. I am using that in the script. Does the scripts ran
load their requires into Textadept?
I am not sure if internals changed but I print all the time to debug as I
develop and it gets so slow (5+ seconds before any prints happen) I feel
like I need to use the terminal instead. And I am not talking about a
massive amount of prints either but the buffer builds up (300-500 lines)
over runs. Can I disable the search?
P.S. I will try to run on an empty ~/.textadept directory just to make sure.
--
Regards,
Ryan