Re: [code] Message Buffer not auto scrolling and slowdown

From: Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 11:28:15 -0400

Hi Mitchell,

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>>

>>> Textadept only scrolls a print buffer when `ui.SILENT_PRINT` is false or
>>>
>> that when print buffer is focused. Textadept has never had the ability to
>> scroll print buffers in separate, split views.
>>
>> I thought so, but I used to use this as a separate view that is at the
>> bottom and in other split views I run scripts that print messages. I would
>> go days with this setup. I feel like tabs changed this behavior and the
>> SILENT_PRINT is not functioning the same with tabs. I need the auto-scroll
>> more that the silent print and if I just don't set any setting I still
>> don't see the auto-scrolling work if you have 2 splits; 1 with a script
>> and
>> another with the message buffer. Now I thought it would focus the message
>> buffer and auto scroll, but that is not what I see. It focuses the first
>> time, but then I focus the script and run again until the text in the
>> message buffer requires the buffer to scroll. I hope this makes sense and
>> helps to reproduce the issue.
>>

> Try the latest nightly build. I think I fixed this. The spawning
> functionality introduced in 7.2 silently enables `ui.SILENT_PRINT`. I've
> modified the behavior slightly to ensure the message buffer is initially
> focused upon running a compile, run, or build command. Leaving the focus in
> that buffer enables autoscrolling.
>

> Also I am seeing a big slow down as I print to the message buffer with a
>>>>
>>> then
>>
>>> hangs till all the text output is done printing to the message buffer. I
>>>>
>>> printing
>>
>>> to the message buffer is slow. So slow that for a simple script taking .5
>>>>
>>> window
>>
>>> to the not responding color. This same script runs in half a second on a
>>>>

>>> Textadept's "compile", "run", and "build" commands print a single line of
>>>
>> process output at a time and search that line for any warnings or errors
>> mark. That is likely causing most of the slowdown. However, even running
>> "for i = 1, 100 do print(i) end" from the command entry is a bit on the
>> slow side. I think that's related to Textadept performing linear search to
>> find a suitable print buffer.
>>
>> Well maybe run the script over and over and just watch how slow it gets. I
>> know this worked much better in the 7.0 release. I wonder if it has to do
>> with requiring socket. I am using that in the script. Does the scripts ran
>> load their requires into Textadept?
>>
>> I am not sure if internals changed but I print all the time to debug as I
>> develop and it gets so slow (5+ seconds before any prints happen) I feel
>> like I need to use the terminal instead. And I am not talking about a
>> massive amount of prints either but the buffer builds up (300-500 lines)
>> over runs. Can I disable the search?
>>

> I saw your follow-up e-mail and tried reproducing, but my machine doesn't
> have any slowdown, at least not with the change mentioned above. I think
> that fix fixed this problem. Let me know otherwise.

With the nightly it works AWESOME. No slowdown and auto-scroll works!

But I did set "ui.SILENT_PRINT = true" in my init.lua and it did not stop
focusing the [Message Buffer]. Now Textadept is completely usable again,
but there is no option for silent print. Just thought you should know.

> If you'd like to disable the search, connect to `events.COMPILE_OUTPUT`,
> `events.RUN_OUTPUT`, and `events.BUILD_OUTPUT` with index 1 and call
> `ui.print()`. For example:
>
> events.connect(events.RUN_OUTPUT, function(lexer, output)
> ui.print(output)
> end, 1)

I didn't even need to go this direction because it works so good now, but
this is good to know.

--
Regards,
Ryan