Re: [code] [textadept] Bug: can't access ".." in curses open file dialog

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:30:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Joshua,

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014, Joshua Krämer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at first, thanks a lot for the great editor textadept. I have been
> searching for an editor that suits me for a long time, and I think I
> finally found it. Over the years, I have tried many. Some provide
> power-user capabilities, but have weird interfaces with key shortcuts I
> can never remember (vim, emacs [if you think it counts as an
> editor ...]), some are easier to use but lack features (nano). Others
> are in between (dit, mcedit, jed, diakonos, joe ...) but all of them had
> some problems. I have been using Gedit (and lately Pluma) most of the
> time, but I also need an editor for the terminal. Now Textadept has
> an intuitive interface (for people used to CUA-style interfaces, which
> means more or less everybody nowadays), but also the features,
> adaptability and extensibility power-users desire, together with a
> nice documentation. Lovely! I wished I had found this hidden gem
> earlier -- it could need some more publicity.

I'm glad you find Textadept suitable :) Feel free to advertise it!

> I shall now come to the point. In the curses interface, when I open
> the "open file dialog" (Ctrl o), the entry ".." is highlighted. If I
> press enter, nothing happens. It's necessary to switch to another
> entry with the arrow keys and then switch back to ".." to access it.

Textadept leverages CDK[1] (curses development kit) for its dialog
widgets. Since it appears that arrowing up and down the list (not pressing
enter) changes the filepath text at the top of the dialog, I don't think a
simple patch against CDK would be do-able. You might be able to work some
combination of tab-completion and typing into your workflow to sidestep
this issue.

You may find the "snapopen project"[2] dialog more useful when you have a
file from a version-controlled project open.

[1]: http://invisible-island.net/cdk/
[2]: http://foicica.com/textadept/04_WorkingWithFiles.html#Snapopen