Re: [code] Re: [textadept] Feature requests: buffer/tab management

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 08:39:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Joshua,

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Joshua Krämer wrote:

> On 2014-08-10, 19:13, Mitchell wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, Joshua Krämer wrote:
>>> I miss a feature to rearrange the order of open buffers (tabs).
>>
>> This is not trivial and would push Textadept over its C code limit of
>> 2000 lines.
>
> Oh, I find this surprising, as this feature can also be found in
> small editors (like mousepad, for example). I thought it may be
> possible to add a layer between the internal buffers and the UI where a
> list with the UI buffer order is mapped to a list with the internal
> buffer IDs. I didn't actually ask for a way to change the internal
> buffer order, just the order of their representation in the UI.
> However, I'm not knowledgeable about editor programming, so I may just
> not see the obstacles involved.

Desynchronizing the tab and buffer order would cause lots of confusion.
Not only would the buffer browser show something different, but also using
the `_BUFFERS` Lua table in scripts would give unexpected results. Any
buffer reordering would have to be done internally and the tabs would
need to reflect the new order.