Re: [code] Re: backspace again + translated strings

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:36:50 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Joshua,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Joshua Krämer wrote:

> On 2014-08-13, 21:03, Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Okay I've spent some time looking into this and discovered that
>> libtermkey likes to combine ^H and ^? into a backspace symbol (which
>> Textadept then interprets as ASCII 8, or '\b'). I've committed a
>> change that segregates these two keys. ^H is now reported as 'ch',
>> while ^? is still reported as '\b'. It's not perfect, but at least
>> one can distinguish between Backspace and ^H now.
>
> Hi Mitchell. Thanks for your efforts. However, I don't think this is
> the way to go. If I understand you correctly, your change results in
> ASCII 8 = BS being recognized as Ctrl-h. This means that ASCII 8 and
> ASCII 127 can now be distinguished, but on terminals where the
> backspace key sends ASCII 127, it is no longer possible to distinguish
> the backspace key and Ctrl-h!

This is not correct. When I press "^V Backspace" in my terminal, I get ^?
(127). Textadept will interpret it as ASCII 8 ('\b'), while ^H will be
interpreted as Ctrl+H ('ch'). In my case at least, I can distinguish
between Backspace and ^H. If BS is mapped to ^H, then Textadept will
always see 'ch', and not '\b'.

Is this not desirable? Maybe I "fixed" the wrong thing...