Re: [code] [textadept][bug] Tab width in OSX is wrong

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 10:04:08 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Feng,

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Feng Li wrote:

> Hi Mitchell
>
> This happens with all fonts (I've tried a few different monospace fonts:
> Menlo, Monaco, DejaVu Sans Mono and they all have this same issue).
> I have verified it's all good on Windows and Linux, so this appears to be a
> Mac only problem.
> it looks to me like some rounding error adding up due to the way OSX
> renders glyphs.

I cannot reproduce the issue on my Mac OSX 10.6.2 installation. Here is
what I did to investigate:

1. Open a new buffer.
2. Use the command entry to enter "use_tabs=true"
3. Enter command "tab_width=4"
4. Enter command "view_ws=1"
5. [Optional] Type something similar to your original screenshot to verify
the characters are lining up correctly (worked for me).
6. Enter command "=buffer:text_width(32,'1234\t')"
7. Note the result (57 for me with Monaco font size 12).
8. Switch back to the previous buffer and enter command
"=buffer:text_width(32,'12341234')".
9. Note the result (again, 57, verifying tabs are drawn correctly).
10. I'm guessing that your #7 and #9 results are different, thus the
offset error.

Can anyone else reproduce non-matching #7 and #9 on Mac OSX following the
steps above? Please report your version numbers too. Thanks.