Re: [code] Re: Aargh! Big jump from 7.2 to 7.7 breaks ALL of my lexers!

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:57:28 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Michael,

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Michael Richter wrote:

> Here's a concrete example. The following files work fine in 7.1 (sorry, it
> was 7.1 to 7.7, not 7.2) but fail in 7.7 having everything coloured
> "default".
>
> mercury.lua: the actual lexer
> lexer_tools.lua: a module I cooked up to give me nicer names for common
> things
> array.m: a sample of Mercury source code that works with the provided lexer
> in v7.1 and fails in v7.7.
>
> I skimmed the change log but I couldn't see anything mentioned there that
> was a candidate that would break this so thoroughly. A better-skilled pair
> of eyes would be appreciated.

This change[1] (updating to LPeg 0.12) likely caused your problem. I'm
almost positive your problem stems from your lexer_tools.lua file, which
uses `P(function() ... end)` patterns that are no longer "valid". The
referenced change has an explanation and a bunch of examples on how to fix
existing lexers.

(By the way, did you try running Textadept from a terminal? It'll print
to stderr when there are lexer errors. I'll look into printing to
Textadept's message buffer now that there is a shared Lua state though.)

[1]: http://foicica.com/hg/scintillua/rev/bfe6008eb013