[code] [textadept] Future of LuaJIT Version

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 16:30:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

With Lua 5.3 on the horizon (it's at the release candidate stage now), I'd
like to take the time to consider the future of Textadept's LuaJIT
version and get some feedback and opinions.

LuaJIT is based on Lua 5.1 (which is now almost 9 years old!) and appears
to have no plans to support Lua 5.3's new features (at least not in the
near future), particularly bitwise operators and the UTF-8 library.
Textadept would utilize both of these new features right away and thus
would be incompatible with LuaJIT.

Now, Textadept has always had some sort of Lua 5.2 compatibility layer for
LuaJIT, but I don't think this is viable anymore for 5.3, especially when
it comes to bitwise operators. Besides, I prefer not to reimplement code
(like a utf8 library) that already exists :)

So this brings us to the question "what does LuaJIT offer"? Speed of
course, but in a text editor for programmers, I believe the speed
difference is quite negligible. (This is addressed in the FAQ and text
editors aren't exactly "power apps" either...) LuaJIT does have an FFI
library, but in the 7+ years of Textadept's existence, I haven't seen one
FFI extension posted to the wiki or mailing list. (In my opinion, the most
likely candidate is an extension to use Windows' native file chooser -- I
cannot imagine any other useful FFI extensions.)

As it is, maintaining LuaJIT compatibility is a bit of a chore
(particularly when a new release comes out) and would be more so with the
release of Lua 5.3. I'd rather not stick with 5.2 either.

That being said, I'm leaning towards dropping LuaJIT functionality and
going with Vanilla Lua 5.3 once it's released. However, I'd encourage any
feedback, for or against, such a move. (We have some time until the
official release.) In particular, I'm curious to know who actually uses
the LuaJIT version, why, and are there good reasons to keep it around?

All other feedback is welcome and appreciated.