Re: [code] [textadept] Future of LuaJIT Version

From: Simon Lundmark <simon.att.pixeldiet.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:19:27 +0100

Hi,

We're using LuaJIT with FFI for interacting with our tools (a debugger and
a few other things) and a few other c-libraries that we use. We use
textadept as a tool at our workplace and one of the main reasons why we
chose it is because you use LuaJIT. We've been using notepad++ previously
but struggled with a lot of the issues that is in that editor and decided
to move to textadept earlier this year. We will try to share some of our
modules in the future so that everyone can use them (although the ones we
can release in the near-future doesn't use ffi).

Changing away from LuaJIT is unfortunately a way that we can't follow if
that would be the choice, since we so heavily depend on FFI. Also we all
like the improved speed that LuaJIT also gives us, not to mention the easy
possibility to move things that are performance heavy from lua to c. LuaJIT
is essentially between 1.5 and over 100 times faster than normal lua
depending on what you are implementing. Just the parser improves the speed
by 1.5 to 5 times. (this is all x86/x64 numbers).

I'm not sure if you know but LuaJIT provides a bit.* interface for you to
use so you don't have to implement your own bitwise operators if you always
use LuaJIT for 5.1. LuaJIT also supports UTF-8 in loadfile() although I'm
not sure what you use utf8 to, so maybe that's not enough. There's also
quite a lot of 5.2-features that LuaJIT supports that everyone doesn't know
about, such as hex-escapes in strings, goto's, math.log, You enable these
with the -DLUAJIT_ENABLE_LUA52COMPAT buildflag.

For us, keeping LuaJIT would mean that we could continue keeping up-to-head
with the other things that you do with textadept. Our plan in the long term
is to release some of our tools open source and if that happens we will
release any modules related to those tools. We're also hoping that us using
the textadept-editor together with the Bitsquid Engine will help spread the
use of this amazing editor that textadept is - specifically if we release
our inhouse tools for free.

Cheers,
Simon

--