Re: [code] [textadept] Future of LuaJIT Version

From: Parke <parke.nexus.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 20:24:37 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> That being said, I'm leaning towards dropping LuaJIT functionality
> and going with Vanilla Lua 5.3 once it's released.
>
> [snip]
>
> All other feedback is welcome and appreciated.

I would prefer Lua 5.3. I expect I would use both the utf8 functions
and the bitwise operators in my custom lexer/folder and word wrapping
code. It would also be nice to be compatible with current (and
future) third-party Lua modules.

(I suppose if someone was willing to do the work, the utf8 functions
could be backported to Lua 5.1 and LuaJIT, as could Lua 5.2's bit32
bitwise functions.)

As this is my first post to the list, some background: I've used
Emacs for over 20 years, and always struggled with configuring it via
Lisp. 4 years ago, I started using the Jed editor for some tasks,
because it has a more manageable (but still quirky) scripting
language. I learned about Textadept a year ago, but just started
using Textadept earlier this month when I could not figure out how to
write a custom folder in Jed. It is *so* much nicer to work in Lua.

Cheers,

Parke