Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 7.8 beta 2

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 09:24:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ryan,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015, Ryan Pusztai wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2015 9:25 PM, "Parke" <parke.nexus.att.gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>>> As far as I know, the terminal itself handles ^Z. I'm not sure it can be
>>> changed...
>>
>> By default, ^Z is handled by the terminal. It can be changed.
>>
>> Via the command line, it can be changed via the "stty" command.
>> Probably "stty susp ^-". "stty -a" will show you the terminal's
>> current special character settings.
>>
>> I think it can also be done via C, but I do not know exactly how.
>> Maybe these would help:
>>
>> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming/Serial_Linux#termios
>> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming:Unix/termios
>> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming:Unix/termio
>>
>> If Textadept does change the terminal's special characters so as to
>> allow ^Z to pass through to Textadept while Textadept is running, then
>> Textadept should probably restore the previous terminal special
>> character settings when Textadept exits. And probably also when
>> Textadept suspends.
>>
>> I have ^Z bound to undo in Emacs and Jed. Both Emacs and Jed detect
>> the current terminal settings, and change those settings, so that they
>> can receive ^Z (and any other special characters they want)
>
> So in previous releases the ^Z key has not been mapped to undo? If not I
> clearly didn't need it to be and I would stick with the terminal default. I
> agreed because I thought it you just changed it.

^Z was mapped to undo in the terminal version and it had to be changed
since ^Z (by terminal default) suspend the running application.

I will look into having Textadept allow a configurable suspend key, but if
it doesn't work out, I'll add an FAQ entry for changing the terminal
default to something else as Parke noted.