Re: [code] Re: [textadept] Textadept 7.8 beta 2

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:22:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi Joshua,

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Joshua Krmer wrote:

> On 2015-01-15, 9:24, Mitchell wrote:
>
>> ^Z was mapped to undo in the terminal version and it had to be
>> changed since ^Z (by terminal default) suspend the running
>> application.
>
> That (mapping of ^Z to undo) worked fine for me in xterm without
> special settings. It did not issue a suspend in the terminal, but
> issued the undo function in Textadept as required. In the linux
> console, it did nothing (no undo and no suspend). Are there terminals
> where it issued a suspend?

To clarify: prior to 7.8 beta 2, ^Z=undo and not suspend. In fact,
Textadept could not suspend at all until 7.8 beta 2. By default, the
suspend key is ^Z, which is the terminal default (Textadept < 7.8 beta 2
simply ignored this).

Now that Textadept supports suspend, ^Z=suspend for the terminals that
support suspend. However, I've committed changes to restore the ^Z=undo
mapping for terminals that do not suspend. (My terminal supports
suspending, so I never experienced the problem you described.)

> If this is not the case, I think it is not feasible to respect some
> standard terminal shortcuts (^Z) and use others for Textadept functions
> (eg. ^C). In my opinion either all standard terminal key bindings
> should be respected by Textadept or none.

^Z=suspend is quite useful I've found (while ^C is not useful at all; the
Nano editor supports ^Z and not ^C by the way). By default it is enabled,
but as I mentioned in the e-mail I sent a few minutes ago, it can be
disabled by using the technique in the updated FAQ[1].

These changes will show up in the next nightly.

[1]: http://foicica.com/hg/textadept/diff/d507910b883f/FAQ.md#l1.37