Re: [code] [textadept] Is the Textadept book still reasonably up-to-date?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:59:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi Matt,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Hi, Folks--
>
> Well, I'm thinking I'd like to purchase the book. I want to learn to
> use Textadept better, and probably write a couple of extensions. But
> I'm not getting very far with the online documentation.
>
> Anyway, I see that the book was published over a year ago, and
> Textadept itself has been through several minor versions in that time.
> So before I spend the money, I'd just like to get some indication of
> how much of the content is still correct. I spend a lot of time with
> bleeding-edge software and language, so a few discrepancies won't faze
> me; I just don't want a reference that constantly leads me to do
> things that don't work any more.

I actually looked into this recently and despite the revisions over the
last year, I found a vast majority of the content is still accurate and
relevant. The biggest change is in the code completion and documentation
interface. Adeptsense has been replaced by some simpler functions in the
`textadept.editing` module. The largest addition to Textadept that the
book does not cover is the asynchronous spawning of child processes. Other
than that there have been small API additions here and there and very few
deletions. The Changelog covers those things in detail.