Re: [code] [textadept] Buffer/view properties

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:41:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi Robert,

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Robert Gieseke wrote:
>
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> would you consider a patch that made Textadept buffers remember
>> properties that are now view-specific like margins, wrap mode, eol etc.?
>> Likely similar to what's already done for caret and selection position.

I've thought some more on this and come up with a potential problem. If,
for example, `buffer.wrap_mode` would be a per-buffer setting, what
happens when you select it from the menu? Would the menu only change that
buffer's setting? If so, then the user would have to toggle the setting
for all buffers, which obviously is undesirable. If on the other hand
Textadept were to iterate through existing buffers and toggle wrap mode,
what happens for new buffers? They would be unwrapped by default. This
issue seems to require keeping track of a general state (or perhaps a
"per-view" state, as is the default when it comes to these things) and
applying it to new buffers. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with an idea
like that. (Also, Textadept would need to keep track of a list of
properties that may change with each release of Scintilla; I'm not a fan
of such bookkeeping.)

It's an interesting problem that has no immediate solution, but I'm still
open to a good one.