Re: [code] New ctags module and language modules

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 09:39:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi Carlos,

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Carlos Pita wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the new ctags module provides a full-fledged tag file search (in project,
> current dir, etc). Some language modules like python use ctags for
> autocompletion, but the tag file search sequence is not quite the same (and
> it's not as good). I would like to see these modules leverage the ctags
> module, albeit:
>
> 1. This would introduce an interdependence between modules.
>
> 2. The find_tag method would have to be generalized a bit: an optional
> match predicate would be enough, I guess.
>
> 3. The search sequence should be extended to support language related tag
> files (maybe using a language key in a similar way than is currently done
> for project root keys).
>
> What do you think?

I'm going to shamelessly assume you're referring to my ctags module[1] :)

I don't want to include any ctags module in core Textadept because that
introduces an external, 3rd-party dependency. In order to eliminate that
dependency, I'd have to compile ctags into Textadept itself, but I can't
do so due to licencing concerns.

Since no ctags module is in core Textadept, any language modules included
in the Textadept distribution cannot depend on such a module, so that
answers your #1.

Let's suppose for a moment that I could include the ctags module in
Textadept. Applying your #2 and #3 would leave us with another form of
the defunct Adeptsense[2]!

[1]: http://foicica.com/hg/ctags/
[2]: http://foicica.com/wiki/adeptsense