Re: [code] New ctags module and language modules

From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:31:59 -0300

> I don't want to include any ctags module in core Textadept because that
introduces an external, 3rd-party dependency. In order to eliminate that
dependency, I'd have to compile ctags into Textadept itself, but I can't do
so due to licencing concerns.

I'm not following you here. The module could just use tags files, without
calling ctags itself. Does this bring licensing concerns?

Moreover, in what sense is the python module more core than the ctags one?
I see there are interdependences, but just between modules outside the core
distribution, both distributed in the modules bunch. Am I wrong?

> Let's suppose for a moment that I could include the ctags module in
Textadept. Applying your #2 and #3 would leave us with another form of the
defunct Adeptsense[2]!

Yes, I see this. I just thought it was a benign form of adeptsense. I
wanted to combine the simple heuristics of language modules completion with
the tag searching flexibility of ctags module. Say you have:

o = MyClass()
o.get_s

Where MyClass.get_something is tagged in the current directory or project.

A tandem of python module and ctags module will solve the completion
problem above, but neither of them will do it alone, except by replicating
code. They address orthogonal concerns.

Cheers

--
Carlos