Re: [code] New ctags module and language modules

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 15:48:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi Carlos,

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Carlos Pita wrote:

>> I don't want to include any ctags module in core Textadept because that
> introduces an external, 3rd-party dependency. In order to eliminate that
> dependency, I'd have to compile ctags into Textadept itself, but I can't do
> so due to licencing concerns.
>
> I'm not following you here. The module could just use tags files, without
> calling ctags itself. Does this bring licensing concerns?

Sorry for the confusion. By including the ctags module, Textadept could
read from ctags files out of the box, but it has no way to produce them
without calling on an external tool. I prefer to have Textadept be able to
produce files it can consume out of the box. In order to satisfy that
condition, Textadept would have to have ctags compiled into it as a
callable module.

> Moreover, in what sense is the python module more core than the ctags one?
> I see there are interdependences, but just between modules outside the core
> distribution, both distributed in the modules bunch. Am I wrong?

While Python is not a core module, but it is a supported one, meaning it
is distributed with Textadept archives. The ctags module must be
downloaded separately.

>> Let's suppose for a moment that I could include the ctags module in
> Textadept. Applying your #2 and #3 would leave us with another form of the
> defunct Adeptsense[2]!
>
> Yes, I see this. I just thought it was a benign form of adeptsense. I
> wanted to combine the simple heuristics of language modules completion with
> the tag searching flexibility of ctags module. Say you have:
>
> o = MyClass()
> o.get_s
>
> Where MyClass.get_something is tagged in the current directory or project.
>
> A tandem of python module and ctags module will solve the completion
> problem above, but neither of them will do it alone, except by replicating
> code. They address orthogonal concerns.

I would encourage you to experiment. I don't have much to say on this
matter as I don't use Python much at the moment.