Re: [code] New ctags module and language modules

From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 18:04:57 -0300

Hi Mitchell,

thank you for your answer.

> I would encourage you to experiment. I don't have much to say on this matter
> as I don't use Python much at the moment.

To add more context to my question, I would like to make the python
autocompleter just a bit smarter:

1) To scan for import aliases (say import itertools as it).
2) To scan for previous class declarations in order to replace self
with a class name (or direct superclass name).

These are just simple heuristics that will fail in many examples, but
they are easy to add to the python module without bloating it.

The problem I see, specially with 2, is that the class name is for a
class defined in the current file or a superclass probably defined in
the current project. The tags file search sequence in ctags module
will work here but not the search sequence in the python module.

I'm not sure what is the best way to go given that I can't depend on
the ctags module being there (of course, I could just hack that for
myself, but maybe it's useful for someone else using the python
module).

One idea is to conditionally depend on the ctags module. This will
duplicate some code but not all.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

--