Re: Re: [code] [textadept] I want to contribute

From: code <code.att.baez.nyc>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:09:05 -0500

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the insight.

On 03/02/2015 01:39 PM, Chris Emerson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 08:56:23AM -0500, Mitchell wrote:
>> * If you're looking for a big project, here's one: Many text editors
>> have their own package managers for extensions and modules.
>> Textadept currently does not, but the LuaRocks project now supports
>> local repositories in any configurable location. I did some work
>> looking into this but didn't manage to come up with something (I
>> don't remember why at the moment). If you manage to do this, you'd
>> be a rock star :) I can send you the code from my previous attempt
>> and my notes. This is a very open-ended project with nothing really
>> clearly defined.
> I had an idea for this (which I haven't tried, so I'm probably missing some
> crucial problems). If textadept had a command line option to behave like the
> lua interpreter (ie load and execute a script instead of running the editor),
> then installing LuaRocks and telling it that your Lua 5.2 (currently) binary
> is, say, "textadept --lua-interpreter", that might just about work to install
> existing rocks (which is useful in itself). Could Textadept extensions just
> be put into the normal LuaRocks system?
Back in my Sublime Text days, I remember that plugins could be installed
with something similar to what you referring to. It was a nice feature
but very few times did any plugins use it. Anyway, I think it would be
easier to get the package manager before going and having such an
integration. Having a custom luarocks system is more feasible and less
messy than putting modules on full userspace. Besides I also think
Mitchell and the rest of Textadept likes the self packaged ease of
Textadept.

>> * A file diff module. This would behave similarly to diff in other
>> editors (Vim and Emacs are probably good references.)
> I'd like this. vimdiff is about the only reason I still run vim. :-)

Now that I have Mitchel even asking for this one, I MUST finish my experiment on it. Will get it done for the love of migration and avoidance of opening up vimdiff. So with you on this one.

Alejandro Baez