Re: [code] [textadept] I want to contribute

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 09:01:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 04/03/15 um 05:15 schrieb code:
> [...]
>>
>> I think you're speaking about adding rocks into textadept through
>> luarocks, correct? Unless I interpreted it wrong, Mitchell was speaking
>> about getting a package manager as in something like [package
>> control](https://packagecontrol.io/) for Sublime Text or
>> [Vundle](https://github.com/gmarik/Vundle.vim) for vim. Basically using
>> something out of luarocks' structure to have internal builds of
>> plugins/modules directly on Textadept.
>>

>> Example in say a Vundle like package manager for textadept:
>>
>> ``` init.lua
>> ta_module("rgieseke/textadept-go") -- would pull directly to modules/go
>> ta_module("jugglerchris/textadept-vi") -- to modules/vi
>> ta_module("abaez/ta-hastebin") -- to modules/hastebin
>> ```
>> This type of package manager would use the source directly for
>> interpolation on textadept. I can see it being not too challenging to
>> implement, if we went this route. Though I think personally, I would
>> want something like package control from Sublime Text. We would have
>> direct installation from a custom `rocks` build (an `adept` if you will
>> :P) from our own luarocks configuration, which would add the
>> plugins/modules. The downside here is we may have to host it ourselves
>> (our own moonrocks like repository). Yet, it could bring more
>> organization of the builds and modules that are out there. I'm still
>> finding stuff people wrote that I had no idea existed...
>>
>> Of course having direct luarocks `rocks` interpolation for the lua
>> interpreter on textadept as you described is nice too. It's something
>> which would be quite nice to have actually. And as added bonus for this
>> luarocks integration, making textadept quite a monstrous beast from what
>> it is now.
>>

> To re-quote Mitchell: "This is a very open-ended project with
> nothing really clearly defined."
>
> The advantage of re-using Luarocks would certainly be to help turn
> Textadept into a mail program and web browser, which would require
> something like Luasocket :-)
> Once the integration were settled one could easily wrap search, install
> and list from within Textadept and have a nice package manager.
>
> However, a package manager could certainly as well be done just by
> writing a thin wrapper around some git/hg commands.

You're both touching on what I had in mind.

The idea I had was to leverage the existing Luarocks code-base in a
package manager module that would allow users to search, install, and list
available modules from within Textadept. We'd piggy-back off of Luarocks'
existing rockspecs etc. in order to minimize work, and host modules on my
server. If possible, for any outside dependencies (Robert mentioned a JSON
library) that are not self-hosted, the package manager (via Luarocks)
would go to whereever the default repository is.