Re: [code] [textadept] Language module repositories merging

From: DrTebi <drtebi.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 10:46:46 -0800

I don't understand all the details, but can I just ask one question:

I wrote custom a post_ini.lua file for ~/.textadept/modules/rest/ ,
will have I have to do some tweaking if I now install the latest
version of Textadept with the module changes you mentioned?

Thanks,
DrTebi

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Prefix note: Users who download new Textadept binaries and module zips upon
> each new release and who don't care about maintaining individual language
> modules in Textadept's "modules/" directory will be unaffected by this
> change described below.
>
> Maintaining separate repositories for individual language modules is
> becoming a chore. The original reason for this was to allow module
> repositories to live within Textadept's "modules/" directory. (The
> "modules/" directory itself cannot be a repository since Textadept has its
> own "ansi_c", "lua", and "textadept" modules.)
>
> However, a recent thread on the list prompted me to rethink this strategy.
> The "lexers/" directory cannot live as a repository within Textadept's root
> directory. Instead on my development machine I have it symlinked. This also
> applies to "src/gtdialog", "src/lua/lib/lspawn.c", and others. I don't think
> language modules deserve any special treatment.
>
> Therefore, I'm going to merge the CSS, HTML, Python, Rest, Ruby, and YAML
> modules into a single repository: textadept_modules[1]. Any of you
> maintaining local copies of Textadept and its dependencies' repositories
> should add symlinks to your "modules/" directory if possible. (Sorry Windows
> users.)
>
> I apologize for any inconvenience, but this makes things easier for me
> maintenance-wise.

> [1]: http://foicica.com/hg/textadept_modules/

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten."