Re: [code] Building on FreeBSD 10.1

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 13:16:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015, Alexander Grotewohl wrote:

> Hello there. Thought I'd drop a note here about my experience building
> textadept on FreeBSD 10.1..
>
> 1) The luafilesystem url is https, and for some reason the base FreeBSD
> install does not have certificates installed (needs ca_root_nss) .. not
> really a big deal but it tripped me up. (Even had to symlink them to the
> right place after ca_root_nss was installed.. ick)

Thanks for the report. I've changed the link to use non-https and it seems
to work fine.

> 2) The luafilesystem file v1_6_3.zip is not found (404). I downloaded the
> file https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/archive/master.zip and
> renamed it and it seemed to work, but if a specific version is expected
> (patches?) this might not always work.

Either github changed their link or the lfs project changed theirs in the
last month or so. I've updated it in the makefile. Thanks again.

> 3) pkgconf isn't installed by default
>
> 4) installing gmake doesn't replace the default make command. although the
> Makefile builds everything else with gmake, you'll never get there with the
> default make command ;)

Added notes for these in the manual.

> 5) The website states BSD requires libiconv, but the Makefile line 72 makes
> that LDFLAG curses only.

The GUI version's GTK should use iconv. Best to leave it in the
instructions to be safe.

> 6) The website says GCC is required, but the default clang seems to work
> fine

Added a note in the manual.

> Anyways, I'm really liking Textadept so far. Thanks a bunch!

Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you!