[code] File names with non-ASCII characters

From: <fp-h0.att.arcor.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 19:17:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have a problem editing files that have non-ASCII characters in their name, i.e. non-ASCII characters in the german language. The problem occurs only with the Win32 version (running on Windows 8.1 or using Wine) - on my linux system, all these files can be edited just fine.

To reproduce the problem in the Win32 version:
press Ctrl+O and open a file with a name that contains a special character (e.g. umlauts , , )

What happens:
- the file is not read, but a new buffer is opened
- file name shown has the special character replaced by other characters

For example, a file ".txt" is shown as "ä.txt", indicating that character "" (hex: c3a4) is stored as UTF-8 and interpreted as two separate ISO 8859-1 characters (hex: c3 and a4).

As much as I dislike special characters in file names, I often get such files and need to edit them. So it would be great if this could be fixed somehow.

Kind regards,
Felix