[code] File names with non-ASCII characters

From: Felix Härer <fel.att.mailbox.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 22:15:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have a problem editing files that have non-ASCII characters in their name,
i.e. non-ASCII characters in the german language. The problem occurs only with
the Win32 version (running on Windows 8.1 or using Wine) - on my linux system,
all these files can be edited just fine.

To reproduce the problem in the Win32 version:
press Ctrl+O and open a file with a name that contains a special character (e.g.
umlauts ö, ä, ü)

What happens:
- the file is not read, but a new buffer is opened
- file name shown has the special character replaced by other characters

For example, a file "ä.txt" is shown as "ä.txt", indicating that character "ä"
(hex: c3a4) is stored as UTF-8 and interpreted as two separate ISO 8859-1
characters (hex: c3 and a4).

As much as I dislike special characters in file names, I often get such files
and need to edit them. So it would be great if this could be fixed somehow.

Kind regards,
Felix