Re: [code] [scinterm] [patch] deferred curses initialization & build-system integration

From: Robin Haberkorn <robin.haberkorn.att.googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:41:17 +0200

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 15:29:41 +0100
Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 04:24:31PM +0200, Robin Haberkorn wrote:
> > sometimes, you may want to operate your Scinterm-based editor in
> > command-line mode, i.e. running scripts that access internal
> > structures of your editor without showing a GUI. This is exactly
> > what SciTECO does, using Scinterm for its terminal port.
>
> I'm not familiar with SciTECO etc. Do you actually want a curses
> interface at all, or do you really want some kind of "virtual output"
> Scintilla port?

Actually, I want both and SciTECO is not the only interactive editor
which does this. SciTECO has two modes: a batch mode and an interactive
mode. In batch mode, SciTECO basically operates like a scripting
language. It can even be used to specify scripts on the command-line
via --eval, similar to sed or awk.
In interactive mode, it shows an UI. Actually, the UI initialization
and configuration is scripted as well, so SciTECO will always start up
in batch mode, before initializing the UI.
Since SciTECO buffers correspond to Scintilla views and documents, it
makes sense to be able to access a large part of Scintilla without
showing an UI.

Just give it a try. There's an Ubuntu PPA and prebuilt Debian and
Windows packages. All curses-based currently, the GTK+ UI is work in
progress.