Re: [code] [scinterm] [patch] deferred curses initialization & build-system integration

From: Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:37:01 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 04:41:17PM +0200, Robin Haberkorn wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 15:29:41 +0100
> Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org> wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with SciTECO etc. Do you actually want a curses
> > interface at all, or do you really want some kind of "virtual output"
> > Scintilla port?
>
> Actually, I want both and SciTECO is not the only interactive editor
> which does this. SciTECO has two modes: a batch mode and an interactive
> mode. In batch mode, SciTECO basically operates like a scripting
> language. It can even be used to specify scripts on the command-line
> via --eval, similar to sed or awk.
> In interactive mode, it shows an UI. Actually, the UI initialization
> and configuration is scripted as well, so SciTECO will always start up
> in batch mode, before initializing the UI.

I can certainly see the use for this kind of functionality, although for me
it would be good enough to run a different "batch" binary. (I'm already
used to running a different command for textadept-curses or the GUI
textadept). However, I think your proposed Scinterm change might help to
fix "textadept-curses --help" too. :-)

Chris