Re: [code] [scinterm] [patch] deferred curses initialization & build-system integration

From: Robin Haberkorn <robin.haberkorn.att.googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 22:57:15 +0200

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:37:01 +0100
Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org> wrote:

> I can certainly see the use for this kind of functionality, although
> for me it would be good enough to run a different "batch" binary.
> (I'm already used to running a different command for textadept-curses
> or the GUI textadept). However, I think your proposed Scinterm
> change might help to fix "textadept-curses --help" too. :-)

I'm afraid, a separate binary won't do. There is no "dummy" Scintilla
port that could be used for this and having one linked against GTK+ is
overkill (and not very minimalist). Also the GTK+ port is much slower
even without displayed windows, for reasons I haven't yet researched
properly.
So the best approach is that all UIs have the same capabilities when it
comes to scripting. Perhaps you would like textadept to be able to run
Lua scripts in batch mode, as well?
Another good reason for batch-mode in SciTECO is that you script always
when using the editor even interactively, as in SciTECO the interactive
text manipulation language IS the scripting language. This allows for
the useful idiom of making a modification interactively before turning
it into a stored subroutine (macro) or into a stand-alone script.

Best regards,
Robin