Re: [code] [textadept] Run both Python 2 and 3

From: Robert Gieseke <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:29:13 +0200

Hi Jay,

there are different approaches to this.
One way to explicitly switch the version used by Textadept would be to
use something like

keys.m3 = function()
  textadept.run.run_commands.py = 'python3 -u "%f"'
  ui.statusbar_text = "Python 3"
end

keys.m2 = function()
  textadept.run.run_commands.py = 'python2 -u "%f"'
  ui.statusbar_text = "Python 2"
end

Press Command-2 for Python 2, Command-3 to switch to Python 3.

That way you could test your scripts with both versions if that were
needed.

Another way would of course be to have Textadept look at the first line
in your script, to check if it's
#!/usr/bin/env python3
or similar.

Note that you need to set your PATH with different Python versions again
for Textadept if you don't want to set the full path.
From the manual:
"Mac OSX Environment Variables

By default, Mac OSX GUI apps like Textadept do not see shell environment
variables like “$PATH”. Consequently, any modules that utilize programs
contained in “$PATH” (e.g. the progams in /usr/local/bin/) for run and
compile commands will not find those programs. The solution is to create
a ~/.textadept/osx_env.sh file that exports all of the environment
variables you need Textadept to see."