Re: Re: Re: [code] Proposal: Change to Python/Ruby syntax checking commands

From: Mitchell <>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:55:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Arnel,

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, Arnel wrote:

> On 9/9/2015 7:30 AM, Mitchell wrote:
>> Hi Arnel,
>> On Tue, 8 Sep 2015, Arnel wrote:
>>> On 9/8/2015 1:43 AM, Mitchell wrote:
>>>> Hi Arnel,
>>>> On Mon, 7 Sep 2015, wrote:
>>>>> Hi Mitchell,
>>>>> Attached is a change I would like to propose to the Python syntax
>>>>> checking command and the Ruby syntax error pattern. This change is
>>>>> done against revision cd5906e1c812.
>>>>> I noticed the syntax checking process change did not work for some
>>>>> reason with Python and Ruby files in the new TA version (v8.2 and the
>>>>> nightly version).
>>>>> For Python, I initially tried replacing the single quotation marks
>>>>> with doubles, which partly fixed the issue, but was giving me errors
>>>>> with the shebang line. Bringing it back to using the 'py_compile'
>>>>> module worked fine.
>>>>> For Ruby, the new pattern was not taking the source filename into
>>>>> account. So I just added it.
>>>>> My current workaround is to set the following in my init.lua:
>>>>> = [[python -m py_compile "%f"]]
>>>>> = '.+:(%d+):
>>>>> ([^\r\n]+).-[\r\n]+(%s*)'
>>>>> I hope the change will be considered.
>>>> Thanks for your report. Which version of Python were you using? What was
>>>> the filename? The reason against using py_compile is that Python2 and
>>>> Python3 report different error messages, whereas Textadept's existing
>>>> command outputs the same message regardless of version.
>>> I was using Python 3 (v3.4.3, to be exact).
>>> I'm sorry - what "filename" are you referring to? If you meant the one
>>> for Python, on Windows, that would just be "python.exe," same as for
>>> Python 2.x.
>> Sorry for the confusion. The name of the Python source file you were
>> saving, the one being syntax checked. I thought maybe it had some odd
>> character in it that was interfering with the quotes in the syntax
>> checking command.
> Sorry for the trouble. No, the filenames I use consist of vanilla ASCII
> characters (/a-zA-Z0-9/ plus the odd hyphen or underscore).

It is quite odd that you would have a problem with such standard
filenames. If you can still reproduce this with the latest nightly, some
more details would be quite helpful in tracking this down.


You are subscribed to
To change subscription settings, send an e-mail to
To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
Received on Sun 13 Sep 2015 - 22:55:12 EDT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Mon 14 Sep 2015 - 06:25:35 EDT