Re: [code] Textadept's appearance on Linux

From: DrTebi <drtebi.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:03:55 -0700

As far as I can see, Textadept uses GTK 2 themes. To start an
application with a specific theme, do this on the command line:

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Orion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc textadept

Obviously, the theme "Orion" in the example above must exist and also
provide a GTK 2 theme.

If you want to make this permanent, it's best to copy the
textadept.desktop file to your local directory, e.g.:

cp /usr/share/applications/textadept.desktop
~/.local/share/applications/textadept.desktop

Now you can open the textadept.desktop file with a text editor:

nano ~/.local/share/applications/textadept.desktop

Once you have the file open, change the EXEC line to the one with your
configured theme, e.g.:

EXEC=GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Orion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc textadept %F

And that should be all. Note that I am not sure when the system
updates the cache for these .desktop files, if you are using an
application launcher, it may not show up until after a reboot...
although I am sure there is a command to update this without the
reboot (this is not Windows afterall...).

DrTebi

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Russell Dickenson
<russelldickenson.att.gmail.com> wrote:
> I much prefer the appearance of Sublime Text 3 when I apply my
> favourite theme, but I prefer Textadept as it's open source. I read
> recently that GTK allows you to specify a theme to be applied when
> running an application. It can either be specified at the command line
> or in a .desktop file.
>
> Has anyone done this before and if so, what theme are you using? I
> particularly want to change the appearance of the file tabs.
>

> --
>
> Russell Dickenson

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten."