Re: [code] [textadept]

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 09:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for any additional confusion I caused!

No problem!

> Mitchell,
> maybe the documentation in the manual section `Autocompletion and
> Documentation` could be amended to include something like:
>
> The official language modules load an API file from `
> _USERHOME..'/modules/<lexer name>/api'` if such a file exists.
>
> To add separate API files the `api_files` table can be amended by adding
> the following to a `post_init.lua` file for a language, e.g. for Lua in
> `_USERHOME..'/modules/lua/post_init.lua'`:
>
> local api_files = textadept.editing.api_files.lua
> api_files[#api_files + 1] = _USERHOME..'/modules/lua/extra_api'

As you noted in a follow-up reply, not all language modules auto-load from
a user's api file. I feel like language modules should dictate how API
files are loaded, and it just so happens that some of them do the
autoloading while others don't. Therefore, putting special mention in the
documentation might be confusing. That is why I pointed users to
"Textadept's included language modules [for] examples of autocompleters
and API documentation". If you do not feel this is clear enough, then
please let me know how I can do better :)