Re: [code] Re: [textadept] run external app from editor

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 11:22:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi Thorsten,

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> * Mitchell (Sun, 27 Dec 2015 14:58:25 -0500 (EST))
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2015, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>> I would like to be able to run two external commands from within
>>> the editor:
>>>
>>> 1. `runscript` with the argument of the filename in the current
>>> buffer. This should be possible for all file types - as runscript is
>>> a wrapping extension to interpreter. Output of `runscript` should go
>>> into a buffer of Textadept.
>>
>> You can put something like this in your ~/.textadept/init.lua:
>> [...]
>
> Thanks, that works beautifully.
>
> Just a few related questions:
>
> - is it possible to reload init.lua from within the editor without
> closing and reopening Textadept?

Sure. Open the command entry, type "reset()"[1] (no quotes), and press
Enter.

> - is there a function to return the word under the cursor? (so I
> don't have to select text I search for)

You have two options:

(1) textadept.editing.select_word()
        local word = buffer:get_sel_text()

(2) local s = buffer:word_start_position(buffer.current_pos, true)
        local e = buffer:word_end_position(buffer.current_pos, true)
        local word = buffer:text_range(s, e)

The first modifies the selection and uses that to get the word, and the
second gets the word silently.

> - is it possible to force Textadept to open only a single instance
> and to open all files in new tabs/buffers? (When I drag and drop
> multiple files to the editor, they all open in tabs...)

It depends on what platform you're on. The manual should help you with
this[2].

[1]: http://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#reset
[2]: http://foicica.com/textadept/manual.html#Single.Instance