Re: [code] Your uses of Textadept?

From: DrTebi <drtebi.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 23:55:50 -0800

Nice topic to chat about.

I use Textadept mostly for writing documentation. I write my
documentation in REStructuredText, or simply rest. The module that
comes with Textadept does most of everything I need already, I only
added a few shortcuts for convenience, and a function that converts
the rest document to HTML. That way, together with an CSS stylesheet,
I can quickly browse all my documentation with a web browser.

The function to convert the rest document into HTML is executed every
time I hit "save", and looks like this:

-- run rst2html after saving an .rst file
events.connect(events.FILE_AFTER_SAVE, function()
  if buffer:get_lexer() ~= 'rest' then return end
    local sh_cmd = '/usr/bin/rst2html --link-stylesheet
--stylesheet-path=/home/drtebi/Documents/Programming/rst2html-s$
    local rst_path = buffer.filename
    local html_path = string.match(buffer.filename,
"(.-[^\\/]-%.?)[^%.\\/]*$")..'html'
end)

That snipped of code is saved in
~/.textadept/modules/rest/post_init.lua. It requires only the rst2html
binary to work.

I also use a "reload" add-on for Firefox, so that when I save the rest
document and the new HTML document is generated, the document in the
browser automatically reloads to let me see the changes (and possible
errors...).

It works really well, and it's very helpful to have documentation. For
example, with my own documentation, it now takes me merely 15-20
minutes to setup Arch Linux with a desktop environment with sound etc.

DrTebi

--
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten."