Re: [code] Your uses of Textadept?

From: Richard Philips <richard.philips.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:16:52 +0100

Hi,

I develop library automation software for a living. Our software base
counts more than 11000 text files, together more than 300Mb code.

Our developers work on different platforms: mostly Windows (7, 8, 10) but
also OSX and Ubuntu. We program in several languages: Python, M, PHP,
Javascript and (recently) Elixir. Our documentation platform is Sphinx. So
we write a lot of reStructuredText.

Until a few year ago, our main text editor was Emacs. We developed a number
of Elisp routines to help us in our programming work.

Then we discovered Textadept: its sober aesthetics appealed to us. We wrote
more than 60 Lua scripts to help us out in our daily work. These days those
11000 text files are all maintained by Textadept.

The scripts we wrote, are mainly syntax files for specialized formats which
are of no use to the larger community.

Nevertheless we like to support Textadept. We do that by sponsoring
Mitchell in developing syntaxfiles for formats like yaml and rst.

Mitchell,

thank you for Textadept and your generosity,

Richard

On Saturday, January 2, 2016, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, docmorchel . wrote:
>
> Hi List,
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> My question to you is: What are you using it
>> for apart from using it as a programming editor? Please comment!
>>

> Thanks for starting this topic!
>
> I use Textadept when taking notes, creating outlines, writing proposals,
> viewing downloaded source code from a web browser or e-mail client -- all
> the usual text-related non-programming activities.
>
> Also, if I'm ever in need of Lua or Textadept API documentation (e.g. for
> answering mailing list e-mails), instead of opening a web browser and
> retrieving documentation from the Lua or Textadept manuals, I find it's
> usually faster to start Textadept, switch to Lua mode, type the name of the
> function I'm interested in, and show its documentation in a call tip.

Richard Philips
<http://anet.be>
Bibliotheek UAntwerpen
Stadscampus - S.A.085