Re: [code] Your uses of Textadept?

From: Richard Philips <richard.philips.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 14:42:32 +0100

Hello Robert,

Our team is split over two locations: the first team (Anet) are employed by
the University of Antwerp and consists of 12 people. Ten of them use
Textadept regularly (5 of them are developers, the others write reST
documentation, tutorials (also reST), translations, CSS, parametrisation
(all in Textadept) etc.

The second team is a company (Ciblis, a spin-off, we are shareholders)
which commercializes our (Library) application. They have also 5 developers
who are using Textadept every minute of their life :-)

We developed a package (62 Lua scripts) which enhances Textadept to a full
blown IDE. This is quite remarkable because our software is completely web
based. People develop (or write documentation), with perfect support for
the programming language they are using. Then CTRL+L + CTRL+Q sends their
work to a remote server (over SSH) where it is automatically installed,
parsed, checked on style guide, etc, and immediately available for testing.

That package contains also some python scripts used in maintaining
Textadept. We have no house rules on what platform people should develop
or what tools they should use. But I notice that everyone uses Textadept :-)
So I see everyone has about the same procedure: they arrive in the morning,
they fire up their workstation, they run python download.py (one of those
python scripts). That script fetches the nightly built, installs it on the
workstation, updates our own Lua scripts.

It is a tribute to the careful way Mitchell develops Textadept that their
is almost never a regression. The API is fairly stable. When there goes
something wrong - but I repeat: almost never - we can easily go back to the
working situation.

By always working with the nightly built, we know what is going on with
Textadept: I also read the mailing list archives and during coffee break we
inform each other on what is new.

I think Mitchell wil forgive me if I say that Textadept is a 'primitive'
tool (like every programmer's editor is). But I like it this way: its
elegance together with the power of Lua makes sure that the
'administrative' things of software development are reduced to a minimum
while our developers remain knowledgeable to the things happening behind
the curtains.

Richard

--
Richard Philips