Re: [code] Your uses of Textadept?

From: Jay Young <jyng7.att.hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 20:07:56 +0000

I mainly write workflow automation. A lot of it consists of automating Adobe apps like InDesign, Photoshop, etc. in which cases I use Applescript, but more often Javascript. I also do a lot of file parsing and some UI stuff - Python, Tkinter and PHP are my go-to languages for these.

I've been using BBEdit for quite a few years. I also use Apple's Script Editor and Adobe's Extendscript apps, but try to avoid those when I can (they are a struggle to work with!). I stumbled upon Textadept while surfing the web one day, and can finally say I've found my favorite coding app! I've got it set up so it easily works with both Python 2 and 3, and love how I can run and see output from it rather than jumping back and forth from BBEdit and the Terminal command-line window. I can't actually run Adobe Javascript from it, but I've set up a keystroke that takes the current buffer's code and puts it in a new ExtendScript window so I can quickly test from there:

keys.ce = { function()
    local filepath = buffer.filename
    if filepath then
        local command = [[osascript <<-EOF
                          tell application "ExtendScript Toolkit"
                              activate
                              open file (POSIX File "]] .. filepath .. [[")
                          end tell
                          EOF
                        ]]
        io.popen(command)
    end
end }

Thank you Mitchell (as well as the other contributors like Robert Gieseke, etc) for the time and effort you put into Textadept. Textadept RULES!!!

Jay