Re: [code] [textadept] Spawn crash on OS X

From: Robert Gieseke <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:12:48 +0100

Hi,

Am 08/01/16 um 06:47 schrieb Mitchell:
>> I'm getting lots of reports of crashes on OS X, for 8.5 and a few 8.x
>> earlier versions that I've tested:
>>
>> "Application Specific Information:
>> *** multi-threaded process forked ***
>> crashed on child side of fork pre-exec
>> [...]"
>>
>> I think it's happening everytime a spawn call returns with an error,
>> e.g. just running `spawn("foo")` (but not `spawn("ls")` from the command
>> entry. Everytime the syntax-check-on-save fails seems to cause this as
>> well so I get lots of reports.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to further track this down?
>
> Grab a nightly with debug symbols and try running Textadept using gdb.
> When you get the crash, run 'bt'. When I have some time I can look into
> this, but if you find something, please let me know.

Textadept is blocking (spinning beachball) when I attach gdb to the
process, so I don't know how to proceed there.

If I change the `textadept_osx` script to run `gdb textadept` in the end
I get lots of warnings
[...]
warning: `/tmp/ta/src/lzio.o': can't open to read symbols: No such file
or directory.
warning: `/tmp/ta/src/scintilla-marshal.o': can't open to read symbols:
No such file or directory.warning: `/tmp/ta/src/textadept.o': can't open
to read symbols: No such file or directory.
(no debugging symbols found)...done.

I'm using Homebrew's gdb and did the necessary code-signing.

On the general issue, can anyone else on OS X confirm this, to make sure
it's not something in my setup? Just putting
`spawn("somethingnotinstalled")` in the command entry gives me something
like

08/01/16 10:11:56,635 ReportCrash[28797]: Saved crash report for
textadept [...]

Thanks,