Re: [code] [textadept] Spawn crash on OS X

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 09:32:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi Robert,

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 08/01/16 um 06:47 schrieb Mitchell:
>>> I'm getting lots of reports of crashes on OS X, for 8.5 and a few 8.x
>>> earlier versions that I've tested:
>>>
>>> "Application Specific Information:
>>> *** multi-threaded process forked ***
>>> crashed on child side of fork pre-exec
>>> [...]"
>>>
>>> I think it's happening everytime a spawn call returns with an error,
>>> e.g. just running `spawn("foo")` (but not `spawn("ls")` from the command
>>> entry. Everytime the syntax-check-on-save fails seems to cause this as
>>> well so I get lots of reports.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to further track this down?
>>
>> Grab a nightly with debug symbols and try running Textadept using gdb.
>> When you get the crash, run 'bt'. When I have some time I can look into
>> this, but if you find something, please let me know.
>
> Textadept is blocking (spinning beachball) when I attach gdb to the
> process, so I don't know how to proceed there.
>
> If I change the `textadept_osx` script to run `gdb textadept` in the end
> I get lots of warnings
> [...]
> warning: `/tmp/ta/src/lzio.o': can't open to read symbols: No such file
> or directory.
> warning: `/tmp/ta/src/scintilla-marshal.o': can't open to read symbols:
> No such file or directory.warning: `/tmp/ta/src/textadept.o': can't open
> to read symbols: No such file or directory.
> (no debugging symbols found)...done.
>
> I'm using Homebrew's gdb and did the necessary code-signing.

Okay, thanks for trying. I really don't know enough about gdb to diagnose
this.

> On the general issue, can anyone else on OS X confirm this, to make sure
> it's not something in my setup? Just putting
> `spawn("somethingnotinstalled")` in the command entry gives me something
> like
>
> 08/01/16 10:11:56,635 ReportCrash[28797]: Saved crash report for
> textadept [...]

I got a report from a user with a spawn related crash, so I'm pretty sure
it's confirmed. The temporary workaround is to disable syntax checking
from ~/.textadept/init.lua:

   textadept.run.CHECK_SYNTAX = false

Cheers,
Mitchell

-- 
You are subscribed to code.att.foicica.com.
To change subscription settings, send an e-mail to code+help.att.foicica.com.
To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to code+unsubscribe.att.foicica.com.
Received on Fri 08 Jan 2016 - 09:32:46 EST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Sat 09 Jan 2016 - 06:34:16 EST