Re: [code] disable "Reload modified file?" dialog

From: Robert Gieseke <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 22:44:46 +0100

Hi Carl,

Am 15/01/16 um 22:01 schrieb Carl Sturtivant:
> OK, I understand the meaning of the code you indicated; thanks for
> pointing out where it resides.
>
> Can I attach my new handler in my .textadept/init.lua file or in some
> other file in .textadept, so I can keep my textadept installation pure?
> Can I perhaps make .textadept/core/file_io.lua in fact, and put the code
> to replace the handler in there?

It's not advisable to overwrite stuff in core (and I don't think it's
possible, but you can overwrite complete `modules/textadept/*.lua`
modules in your `~/.textadept` directory -- this means however tracking
changes and bugfixes in Textadept, so it's much better to just overwrite
and extend what you want to change). So doing it in
`~/.textadept/init.lua` is the way to go.

> In fact how do I need to organize this? The actual coding looks simple,
> just not these administrative matters.

Yeah, and as usual there are multiple ways to do it. If your `init.lua`
grows bigger you might want to start creating sub-modules.

For a start

events.connect(events.FILE_CHANGED, update_file, 1)

in your `init.lua` with an `update_file` function returning true to
prevent handling of further events is probably all you need. The
challenge is probably not to overwrite any changes inadvertently (when
you edit something and a change outside of Textadept occurs).