Re: [code] Extremely long lines in textadept source code

From: Robert Gieseke <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:02:05 +0100

Hi,

Am 14/02/16 um 04:33 schrieb Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer:
>>> E.g., there is a line in modules/textadept/file_types.lua which
>>> has over 4500 chars.
>>>
>>> What's the reason for this?
>>
>> A combination of faster load times (from a startup perspective; less text for
>> Lua to parse), reduction of file size (less whitespace), and reduction of line
>> count.
>
> is Wikipedia right with your 2000/4000 LOC limit?
> Let's move the table to scintillua then ;-)

It's also written on Textadept's home page and Mitchell has confirmed
these limits in list discussions.

I think they can't be put into Scintillua as they are connected to
Textadept's filetype detection and run/compile (long lines in run.lua as
well) infrastructure I think.

However, I doubt that it's possible to measure a startup speed
difference (as Textadept is quite fast at starting up), so maybe these
could be moved to a config file which is not counted in the line count,
thus improving readability?