Re: [code] RFC: Introduce ui.tabs_always setting.

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:17:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> Hi,

>>> For what it's worth my opinion, I am against it: one tab alone carries
>>> no information, and not showing it (like now) reduces the clutter and
>>> increases the space available for the text. Just my 2 cents...
>>>
>> At least it carries the information that one ist using tabs mode.
>
> I think the best solution would be to make "at least one tab" the new
> default *and* have a Lua-based script to switch to "no tabs" if only one
> tab/buffer is shown, toggling back to show tabs as a second buffer is
> created. That way, no new user setting needs to be introduced and
> clutter can be kept to a minimum for those who want it (I do, too) ...
>
> I'm happy to write that script unless someone wants to give this a shot ...

I've thought about this some more and I remember why I originally hid the
first tab -- Textadept's manual states "Textadept's user interface is
sleek and simple". A single tab sticks out like a sore thumb to me (and
according to other replies I don't appear to be alone).

I'm happy with the current tab behavior and do not wish to change it.