Re: [code] RFC: Introduce ui.tabs_always setting.

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:06:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi Markus,

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> On 2016-02-25 15:17, Mitchell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Robert Gieseke wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I think the best solution would be to make "at least one tab" the new
>>> default *and* have a Lua-based script to switch to "no tabs" if only one
>>> tab/buffer is shown, toggling back to show tabs as a second buffer is
>>> created. That way, no new user setting needs to be introduced and
>>> clutter can be kept to a minimum for those who want it (I do, too) ...
>>>
>>> I'm happy to write that script unless someone wants to give this a shot ...
>>
>> I've thought about this some more and I remember why I originally hid the
>> first tab -- Textadept's manual states "Textadept's user interface is sleek
>> and simple". A single tab sticks out like a sore thumb to me (and according to
>> other replies I don't appear to be alone).
>>
>> I'm happy with the current tab behavior and do not wish to change it.
>
> I had expected that opinions differ - that's why I introduced a new setting.
>
> So will you accept my original ui.tabs_always patch ?

Sorry for the confusion and not being more clear. Yes, it was good of you
to simply introduce it as a new setting. However, I don't want to have two
separate settings for tabs. After thinking some more, if anything I prefer
going the integer route and keep it at `ui.tabs`, but I'm not sure
backwards-compatibility is possible.