Re: [code] Re: Debugging language modules

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 14:41:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Arnel,

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016, Arnel wrote:

> Hey Robert,
>
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 17:20:23 +0100, Robert Gieseke <rob.g.att.web.de> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2016, Arnel wrote:
>>
>>> - Is it possible to change the background color of highlighted
>>> brackets and parentheses when looking for their pairs? There doesn't appear to
>>> be anything related mentioned in the buffer API for it.
>>
>> In your properties.lua file you can overwrite Textadept's defaults, this
>> gives me a red box (with Solarized theme):
>>
>> local INDIC_BRACEMATCH = textadept.editing.INDIC_BRACEMATCH
>> buffer.indic_style[INDIC_BRACEMATCH] = buffer.INDIC_FULLBOX
>> buffer.indic_fore[INDIC_BRACEMATCH] = buffer.property_int['color.base08']
>> buffer:brace_highlight_indicator(not CURSES, INDIC_BRACEMATCH)
>>
>> (I use a base16 theme, so you might not have other colors defined, you
>> could also specify a color directly.)
>
> Thanks. I got there by:
>
> local INDIC_BRACEMATCH = textadept.editing.INDIC_BRACEMATCH
> buffer.indic_style[INDIC_BRACEMATCH] = buffer.INDIC_ROUNDBOX
> buffer.indic_fore[INDIC_BRACEMATCH] = property_int['color.cyan']
> buffer.indic_alpha[INDIC_BRACEMATCH] = 100
> buffer.indic_outline_alpha[INDIC_BRACEMATCH] = 50
>
> Setting the buffer.indic_alpha and buffer.indic_outline_alpha adjust the
> opacity. However, it's too bad there's no complement 'buffer:indic_back'
> table to allow, for example, simply reversing the foreground/background colors
> which is usually the case with other editors with similar bracket-matching
> features. As it is now, both the bracket itself *and* the background color
> *and* the outline are colored the same.
>
> Perhaps a feature request sometime in the future?

There are two ways to highlight braces: either using indicators or
using styles. The GUI version uses indicators and the terminal version
uses styles. It sounds like if you want to use foreground and background
colors exclusively (no decorations like the default box), then you should
go the styles route. Take a look at the "term.lua" theme:

   property['style.bracelight'] = ...

You'll want to put a version of that in your theme or in your
`~/.textadept/properties.lua`. (If the latter, make it `buffer.property
...` -- note the 'buffer.' prefix.)

Then in `~/.textadept/properties.lua`:

   buffer:brace_highlight_indicator(false, 0)

That will turn off the indicator and use the style you defined.