[code] [textadept] Textadept 9 poll: Lua patterns or Regex?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 23:07:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've been experimenting with integrating the TRE regular expression
library[1] into Textadept. An extra 40K in executable size yields a mostly
complete POSIX-compatible set of regular expressions. (Not Perl Compatible
Regular Expressions, or PCRE -- that is far too big and bloated.) I've
been able to use TRE as a replacement for Textadept's existing "Lua
pattern" search rather well. UTF-8 support is not as smooth as lua-utf8
though, but it appears to work.

The question I have for you is would you prefer to have Regex searches
instead of Lua pattern searches? I've been tinkering around with keeping
them both as options, but I haven't found an elegant way to do it. I think
I'd prefer keeping one over the other. If Lua patterns end up getting the
boot, I'll post some code on the wiki to bring them back for those that
prefer them.

Also, if Regex wins, I'll likely be removing the Lua code execution in
pattern replacements (e.g. `%(string.upper('%1')`). In the very few
instances I've actually used it, it's not as reliable as I'd expect it to
be.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments on this very much.

[1]: https://github.com/laurikari/tre/