Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 9 poll: Lua patterns or Regex?

From: DrTebi <drtebi.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 18:11:38 -0700

I see your point. I sometimes forget that I have a 4K screen :)

How about a triple-click button? That would be a bit unusual, and
might need some extra explanation, but I would like it. Default-state:
Text Search, First Click: Regex Pattern, Third Click: Lua Pattern,
Fourth click back to Text Search. Just an idea.

If it comes down to choosing one, I vote for regex.

DrTebi

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, DrTebi wrote:
>
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> personally, I prefer regex patterns. And I admit, I pretty much don't
>> even know how Lua patterns work in the first place.
>>
>> I use Textadept for pretty much everything except my larger Python
>> projects, but I don't work much with the Lua language itself, which
>> explains my limited knowledge of Lua patterns.
>>
>> So obviously, I would preferr regex, which I have used since the late
>> 90s.. But if I would get more into Lua, I would probably appreciate to
>> see the option to use Lua patterns... so my vote goes for both.
>>
>> Would it not be possible to have a radio group with "Lua Pattern -
>> Regex Pattern - Plain Text"?
>

> Thanks for your response. I thought about having a radio group, but that
> would clutter up the find & replace pane. I really like the 4 options it
> currently has and would not like to add more horizontal or vertical width to
> accommodate a 5th option. (The terminal version would particularly suffer.)

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of
low price is forgotten."